[ltp] serial port stays quiet on TP600

Thomas Vogels linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
01 Nov 2001 18:43:26 -0500

"Peter Hutnick" <peter-lists@hutnick.com> writes:

> Thomas Vogels said:
> > I enabled COM1 with tpctl and verified ports (0x3f8) and irq (4).  But
> > 'setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig auto_irq' fails to recognize the
> > port, the UART is still unknown! The hardware is OK as verified with W98.
> >
> > Any ideas, suggestions?
>
> I have a TP600 as well.  I tried that setserial command and it didn't give any
> errors . . .

Peter, so the serial port works fine for you?  Which kernel?

setserial doesn't give an error, it fails silently:

# tpctl --rs1
resource state:                                       current
   serial port 1:                                     enable  COM1 0x3f8 IRQ4
# setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
# pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 --list
   Unable to bind to port /dev/ttyS0
   pi_bind: Invalid argument

I'll blame it on the 'UART: unknown'--looks like the software can't
talk to the hardware.

> Any chance you don't have serial support in your kernel, or that the module
isn't loaded?

I've just recompiled the kernel to make serial support a module
instead of having it built-in.  Didn't help, but the modules does get
loaded automatically.

Thanks,
  -tom