[ltp] serial port stays quiet on TP600

Thomas Vogels linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
02 Nov 2001 08:17:27 -0500

Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Power on the serial port using "ps2 ser on".
>

>  --- Peter Hutnick <peter-lists@hutnick.com> wrote:
> > Thomas Vogels said:
> > > I enabled COM1 with tpctl and verified ports (0x3f8) and irq (4).  But
> > > 'setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig auto_irq' fails to recognize the
> > > port, the UART is still unknown! The hardware is OK as verified with W98.
> > >
> > > Any ideas, suggestions?

Thomas, thanks for pushing me back to ps2...To my surprise, I had to
power-on AND enable the serial port with ps2.  'ps2 ser on' alone
didn't help, a 'ps2 sera enable' was also needed!  So somehow tpctl
failed to enable the serial port in Linux (tpctl changed the state but
the kernel driver couldn't talk to the port).
At last I can connect my palm pilot to my laptop :-)
  -tom