[ltp] Battery dying

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 11:28:33 -0500

Thomas Hood wrote:

>PMO.  I just bought a new battery in July, and already it's dying
>just as my last battery did.  When charging, after it charges to
>about 20% it jumps up to "100%", and when I run on battery it
>only runs down to about 85% before dropping suddenly to 5%.
>
>Is this a firmware bug, or what?
>
>--
>Thomas

i had the same problem with my 770
there was a bios fix a while back that caused the machine not to try to
charge a battery that was >95% charged
so I think this problem is  a result of usually using a system on AC
power.  I ended up using the crap battery at home (in case i knocked out
the power cord) and reserved the new battery for travelling when I
usualy discharged it fully.

The new battery was working great until I sold it (about 1 yr)

i guess Li-ion is not as smart is it was sold to be...

brad