[ltp] serial port stays quiet on TP600

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 22:02:05 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Ravi Pratap M <ravi@ximian.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 09:00, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > Power on the serial port using "ps2 ser on".
>
> 	Shouldn't he be doing it from the BIOS ? I remember you saying in some
>
> 	Maybe I am just dreaming up things ;) I always use the BIOS to enable
> the port when I need it.

The port can be _powered_on_ only using PS2.EXE.
Once Linux has booted, tpctl 2.0 and later can be used to
power the port off if it was powered on using PS2.EXE.
For unknown reasons, if the port was powered off using PS2.EXE,
tpctl cannot power it on.

Powering the serial port (more exactly, the RS-232 drivers)
on and off is independent of enabling the serial port chip.
The latter is done with "PS2.EXE SERA ENABLE" or "tpctl --rs1=enable".

Thomas

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm