[ltp] Battery dying

Madhusudan Singh linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:22:49 -0500 (EST)

I have an i1300 series Thinkpad. It exhibits some extremely funny battery
(?) / apm (likely) problems.

Sometimes, while the power supply is plugged in, the battery charge shown
(I use KDE charge monitor - results are similar with the GNOME applet, in
any case /proc/apm ... shows the same result) plunges to zero, forcing me
to reboot (if I don't, then the whole thing freezes after some time). To
check, I removed the power supply and rebooted. Upon logging in, I got a
battery charge of about 96 %. This is puzzling. Implies that there is
nothing wrong with the battery, but the apm has some quirks.

Btw, I use RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.10)

I also have win98 on the other partition, but I hardly ever use it, so I
do not know whether this wierd behaviour is repeatable on the other OS.

Any ideas ?