[ltp] Input devices seem to freeze or hang periodically

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:56:02 -0500

Can you provide the contents of your /usr/src/linux/.config please? I am
guessing, but I suspect there may be some flags in there that might be
tweakable to fix things. APM would normally be the primary thing I'd look at,
and it MAY still be in some way related to that, but I guess you've
eliminated some possibilities there already (at least we know its not
something related to the scripts apmd normally controls).

The PCMCIA part of the equation is interesting. It may well be there is some
sort of resource conflict or similar issue there. My suggestion there would
be to shut down card services and see if and when the machine hangs without
them running.

Also there are as I understand it 2 different types of PCMCIA support with
2.4.x kernels. There is DH's card services, which has been around quite a
while, and is user space, and there is the "yenta" kernel mode stuff, which I
believe is pretty much new to 2.4 (at least I never encountered it before).
Not sure what the differences are exactly, or how they might related to each
other but you may want to try various combinations... My understanding is
they use somewhat different drivers.

I also dimly seem to recall something about token ring and PCMCIA and
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts needing something extra, but I don't use broken ring,
so can't help much there!