[ltp] Input devices seem to freeze or hang periodically

Eric Blouin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:05:14 -0500

Tod,

OK.  You got me thinking.  Did I really have input freezes when APM was not
installed?  In short, I recompiled the 2.4.14-pre8 kernel to have no APM
support enabled, rebooted and ran.  Just when I was starting to doubt my
prior recollection... bam  frozen solid.  Pop out card and everything back
to normal.  Insert card and I'm back surf'in.  It's happened twice through
the course of the day now, but the mean time to failure feels (hate these
dang non-reproducable problems -- they're so touch-feely) much longer
without the APM support.

I do have a little bit more data:
Remember when I ran with APM enabled in the kernel I would eventually hard
hang?  Well, I was working in a text-based tty in the APM enabled kernel
when things froze.  This time when I popped the card, the kernel crashed
and printed to the screen a stack trace (and hung -- is the trace on the HD
anywhere?).  kapm-idled was the current running process in the trace.
Also, when I fn-f4 to suspend the machine hangs on the resume with APM, but
is fine without APM.  I think the hard hang may be a propagation of the
"freeze" problem (I hope).

I'm going to attach my .config file as you requested.  Someone yell at me
if there is a better way.  Also, I'm writing on blotus notes so I haven't
found a way to do the nifty '>' thing.  This .config file is the kernel
without APM compiled.

Here's also what I think I figured out about PCMCI vs. yenta.  I found this
document very useful: http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/README-2.4  It
looks like DH's PCMCIA code (CONFIG_PCMCIA) is in the most recent kernels.
The "yenta" driver is enabled with CONFIG_CARDBUS.  I think some time ago
the little slot in the side of laptops evolved from a PCMCIA slot(s) to a
CARDBUS+PCMCIA slot.  It seems the yenta driver (written by the L-man
himself) provides some glue (called "hot plug PCI" interface) to the normal
PCI drivers.  I think CARDBUS compliant cards are more liked real PCI cards
smooshed to fit in the little slot and with some "hot plug" extra
electronics.  Most of this is random guess work, but I'm pretty sure my TR
card is an old fashion PCMCIA card and doesn't get  involved (or shouldn't)
with yenta/CARDBUS.  It uses the ibmtr.o driver (which DH HOWTO says don't
select in the kernel config, but I didn't see much choice).

Thanks for any help you can give, even if it's "moral" support.

Eric Blouin

                    Tod Harter
                    <tharter@rhombus.net>        To:     linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
                    Sent by:                     cc:
                    owner-linux-thinkpad@b       Subject:     Re: [ltp] Input devices seem to freeze or hang periodically
                    m-soft.com

                    11/06/2001 11:56 AM
                    Please respond to
                    linux-thinkpad

Can you provide the contents of your /usr/src/linux/.config please? I am
guessing, but I suspect there may be some flags in there that might be
tweakable to fix things. APM would normally be the primary thing I'd look
at,
and it MAY still be in some way related to that, but I guess you've
eliminated some possibilities there already (at least we know its not
something related to the scripts apmd normally controls).

The PCMCIA part of the equation is interesting. It may well be there is
some
sort of resource conflict or similar issue there. My suggestion there would

be to shut down card services and see if and when the machine hangs without

them running.

Also there are as I understand it 2 different types of PCMCIA support with
2.4.x kernels. There is DH's card services, which has been around quite a
while, and is user space, and there is the "yenta" kernel mode stuff, which
believe is pretty much new to 2.4 (at least I never encountered it before).

Not sure what the differences are exactly, or how they might related to
each
other but you may want to try various combinations... My understanding is
they use somewhat different drivers.

I also dimly seem to recall something about token ring and PCMCIA and
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts needing something extra, but I don't use broken
ring,
so can't help much there!