[ltp] Battery dying

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:19:32 -0500

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 20:12, Thomas Hood wrote:
>  --- Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> wrote:
> > I have an i1300 series Thinkpad. It exhibits some extremely funny battery
> > (?) / apm (likely) problems.
> >
> > Sometimes, while the power supply is plugged in, the battery charge shown
> > (I use KDE charge monitor - results are similar with the GNOME applet, in
> > any case /proc/apm ... shows the same result) plunges to zero, forcing me
> > to reboot (if I don't, then the whole thing freezes after some time).
>
> Might there be a loose connection in there somewhere?

   I saw something like this as well.  The battery was apparently charging
but actually didn't, and eventually the machine would just shut off, even
though it was plugged in.  This started around a week after the warranty
expired on my i series thinkpad.   What happened was that a solder joint in
the power connector went cold on me.  I managed to wiggle it around and get
it to "stick" for a while but after a few months I couldn't deal with it
anymore.  I took the time to disassemble the notebook and found the joint.
It was resoldered and I haven't seen the problem since.

--

George Staikos