[ltp] Battery dying

Rudolf W. Heuberger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:00:02 +0000

Hi. I myself have a TP770Z, 2,6 years old and 2 .. 3 times deep-de
charged accu (was not the intension). I upgraded also the Bios
when the recharge-only-after-accu-below-95percent fix apeared. The
machine shows also the symptom uf jumping from abt. 89 % to 5 %.

In the company I work my collegues have Compaq Armada 1750 (also
Li Ion, higher voltage as I remember, about same AmpHour rating).
This week I conducted a test with two Armadas: one lasted more
than 3 hourse before he warned from deep-dischage. Sunday night
I conducted a test with my 770Z: I arrived that the TP770Z was alive
for more than 1 hour (!!!) afer showing 5 % on the control LCD .. then
I recharged, fiddled with APM on Win98 and since then the TP goes to
suspend/hibernate shut down when reaching 1 %. Probably I'll try this
sat/sun again to allow the wunderfull 1 hour run with only 5 % capacity.

  The 1 hour-effect was very surprisingly for me, I do not understand
  the effect: it's am magic (say: look like a preventive trick against
  seldom arising problems with Li Ion cells: HAL wants probably be on
  the very safe side ((I hope, it's not a marketing gag to sell accus))
).

The company I worked until 2,5 years ago: we had TP 750, TP 750 C, 755
C,
755 CDX (with video in) and up to TP 765 CD (total base of TP: around
15)
(I had a TP 755 CDX, running OS/2, Linux and NT4 ((NT4 by diskswapp))
with Tokenring LAN). The TP 750 / 750 C accus had a external switch
(that
reseted also the memory of the circuit inside the accu?). With that
switch I was in 1 of 2 cases successful in re-animation of the accu
(else
I had to order a replacement). My TP 755 CDX had no such switch .. and
also
no accu-probs.

Hearing from you out here, I ordered this week a new accu for my TP770Z.
Probably I will not dispose my old before having it opened and analyzed
the inside life .. but first I must wait until the new arrives ;-)

If I find a surprise for me I'll report here.

Rud.