[ltp] A21m won't park /dev/hda

Tom Allison linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:52:57 -0500

ben knight wrote:

> You need to install noflushd. It's a debian package [noflushd,
> surprisingly enough]. This will make sure that your hard disk stays spun
> down for as long as possible, saving battery etc.
>

>>the hard drive spin down, then right back up again.
>>Another minute, down, then up again.

These are nasty problems.  noflushd is already installed according to
apt-get and is running.
After I sent this first email out I did two things:
killed the debugging on kdm (should have done that when I got it working
a month ago..)
and then I killed konquerer and started playing some game.
Then the disk parked!
I have to do some more reading again and will keep my ears open.   But
this PC (with an ultra-bay battery) was able to get >7 hours of use on a
charge.  Now I'm down to 4 hours on a good day.
I've turned of irda, unloaded my pcmcia card in hopes of helping this.
But it seems that the power savings has taken a turn for the worse on
this installation.