[ltp] strange locking up thanks to the modem..

Ravi Pratap M linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
13 Nov 2001 23:51:46 +0530

Hey guys,

	On my Thinkpad 570E running RH 7.1 and stock kernel and everything, I
have the Lucent Winmodem working very smooothly ever since I first
compiled and installed the usual driver.

	However, very randomly and rarely, the machine locks up when I try to
dial out. There is no pattern to it and it seemingly happens without any
pattern at all. The only thing one can do is to switch it off manually
and try again after the reboot. Almost everytime, it doesn't happen
again but sometimes, it recurs maybe once or twice more - complete
freeze.

	Any ideas what this could be and why it happens ? It's irritating to
have to go through the file check everytime see and I am not yet on a
journalling file system :-)

	Regards,

		Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchovny in Readers' Digest

	Ravi Pratap M                    <ravi@ximian.com>
                        <http://primates.ximian.com/~ravi>