[ltp] Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PC Card

Peter Hutnick linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:14:16 -0600 (CST)

Joe Luker said:
> I tried commenting out all other port entries IAW Mark Alford's post of
> 20JUL00, but that doesn't seem to help.
>
> I'm getting error messages after the kernel boots and when the services are
> starting up saying that my eth0 interface is failing - what is that name of
> that startup log that keeps all that stuff?
>
> Any troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running a RH kernel, or your own?  Version?  Card Services or Yenta?
Version?

Also, maybe I don't know what I am doing, but using PCMCIA Ethernet cards I
always have them fail when the system tries to bring it up, because the pcmcia
driver isn't loaded yet.  I don't know what the "right" solution is.  With RH it
always came up on its own a bit later in init.  With Debian I have resorted to a
"local" init script at the very end of init that takes eth0 up and down.  (The
first line of the script it "# hack hack hack . . .").

Oh, and are you talking about dmesg?  (Try typing dmesg and see if you go
"Ohhh.")
Good luck!

-Peter