[ltp] Thinkpad 600 CDROM woes

Daniel W. Schar linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:44:52 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Martin Sanborn wrote:

well, i had a cd drive die on me on a sparc i was puttin linux on, and was
able, using debian to do a floppy install, and then use the included
program that lets you ftp to debian sites and just do a ftp based net
install...worked well except the X server got botched up...which im still
workin on...oh yah, also no pine, ie no pico, so it is a pain to use VI...

dont know if this helps, but how i got around a simular prob on a bizarra
install..

dan

> Perhaps someone can shed some light on my situation. My Thinkpad 600's CDROM
> drive appears to be on the verge of an untimely death. Whether audio or data
> CDs are inserted, most of the time the drive will spin up, sound like it is
> reading the disc, then abruptly stop, flashing its little yellow LED every
> second until the disc is removed. It will attempt this a few times, then
> ultimately fail. If by chance it does read an audio disc, playback is choppy
> and generally unlistenable. The kernel logs have messages like,
>
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel: hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel: hdc: packet command error: error=0x30
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel:   Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel:   (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x57,
> ascq=0x00)
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel:   The failed "Test Unit Ready" packet
> command was:
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel:   "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
> Nov  6 13:11:42 delirium kernel: cdrom: open failed.
>
> Anyone with similar experience? There were some reports with a bug in the
> kernel way back in the 2.2 series that may have caused some problems, but the
> bugs have since been fixed and I doubt this is a software problem.
>
> I know these drives are pretty cheap - $25 on ebay - but I wanted a second
> opinon before I buy one.
>
> I'm running kernel version 2.4.13 with the xfs patch and devfs. The machine
> has 196 MB of RAM. Curiously, it passes the CDROM self-test in the IBM BIOS.
>
> Thanks for any information.
>
> Marty Sanborn
>
> --
>
> | Martin Sanborn - Dept. of Chemical Engineering - Northwestern University |
> | m-sanborn@nwu.edu - (847)467-1653 - http://zeolites.cqe.nwu.edu/marty |

Daniel W. Schar
Dept of Biology (OBEE), UCLA
621 Charles Young Dr. South