[ltp] Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PC Card

Joe Luker linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:13:09 -0600

--------------E699BC294BA4ED9231A94D11

Thanks, I've never tried slackware.  I'm also thinking about picking up
the latest SuSe.  A friend who's also into linux raves about them -
doesn't use anything else - which is how I used to be about RedHat up
through early 6.x

"Daniel W. Schar" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Tod Harter wrote:
>
> i also was able to get one of these cards up and runnin using slackware
> version, ah, i forget, an older one...but they have a great pcmcia floppy
> that added support no prob...might be worth it as well...
>
> dan
>
> > I know that both Mandrake and RH have a bit of hackery in the network startup
> > scripts to deal with deffered initialization of PCMCIA network interfaces.
> > Its not something you SHOULD have to hack with, but I have no idea how other
> > distros deal with the issue, if they do. One would assume that the main ones
> > have SOME similar mechanism.

> > > Are you running a RH kernel, or your own?  Version?  Card Services or
> > > Yenta? Version?
> > >
> > > Also, maybe I don't know what I am doing, but using PCMCIA Ethernet cards I
> > > always have them fail when the system tries to bring it up, because the
> > > pcmcia driver isn't loaded yet.  I don't know what the "right" solution is.
> > >  With RH it always came up on its own a bit later in init.  With Debian I
> > > have resorted to a "local" init script at the very end of init that takes
> > > eth0 up and down.  (The first line of the script it "# hack hack hack . .
> > > .").
> > >
> > > Oh, and are you talking about dmesg?  (Try typing dmesg and see if you go
> > > "Ohhh.")
> > > Good luck!
> > >
> > > -Peter

> > > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

> Daniel W. Schar
> Dept of Biology (OBEE), UCLA
> 621 Charles Young Dr. South
> Los Angeles, CA 90095-1606

--------------E699BC294BA4ED9231A94D11

begin:vcard
n:Luker;Joe
tel;home:(972) 722-0979
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;1125 Sierra Pass;Rockwall;TX;75087;
version:2.1
email;internet:lukerj@swbell.net
fn:Joe Luker
end:vcard