[ltp] Thinkpad 600 CDROM woes

Willard Fullam III linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:07:19 -0500

I will assume this is an Ultra-Bay unit. Things to check:

1. Remove the unit, clean lens and connectors (use antistatic brush or
"canned air"- use with caution) and reseat in the Ultra-Bay

2. Update to the latest System Setup (BIOS) (see IBM support site)

3. Check for and install any firmware upgrades (see IBM support site)

4. Run Test from System Setup with and without CD inserted
	a. if it passes, OK but you are not home free, go to next step
	b. if it fails, replace

5. Test the unit in as many operating systems as you can; Linux,
	Windows, OS/2, whatever...
	a. if it fails any any one, check to see that the correct drivers, SW
		is installed and check again
	b. if it fails in more than one, replace
	c. if it fails in only one or you can only test one OS, and you have
	done all the steps above, the most likely cause is a defective unit;
	replace

One other test to try is to place it in the Ultra-Bay receiver in the
Dock III unit (which I think the TP600 uses) and if it works here, you
have a defective internal connector or system board. I have one for my
TP770X and this is handy but that may not be an option for you.

This problem occurs with clean CD disks and various types from
off-the-shelf SW and one's you have created or have been burned for
you? I have run into problems where "burned" CDs did not work and could
be traced to the media and in some cases to the SW used to create them.
Older CD drives were prone to this problem.

In the end, I think you will most likely find the unit is defective,
but this a way to confirm. Still under warranty by any chance?

--
Willard E. Fullam III
wfullam@bellsouth.net