[ltp] Linux 2.4.9 trouble on a ThinkPad 600E

Maarten de Jong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:28:03 +0100

Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a ThinkPad 600E and have had a very pleasant time
installing and running Linux 2.4.9 on it. However, I have run into a few
nasty problems I do not know how to solve. I appreciate any feedback in
these matters.

Problem 1: floppy drive not working
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
For some strange reason, whenever I boot up Linux with a floppy drive in the
Ultrabay, I cannot mount any disk in there. Or at an unpredictable rate at
best. Upon entering the command

    mount /mnt/a

with an /etc/fstab-entry of

    /dev/fd0   /mnt/a    msdos    defaults,noauto    0  0

and a proper mounting directory, I get the following error message:

    mount: /def/fd0 already mounted or /mnt/a busy

But there's nothing in my /proc/mounts- or /etc/mtab-files with respect to
an already mounted /dev/fd0. Now I know there's a special option you need to
pass along to the kernel, and it's sitting right there in the
global section of /etc/lilo.conf:

    append = "floppy=thinkpad"

Not being able to mount a floppy disk isn't too crippling; I almost never
use them anyway. But it's such a basic feature of any computer system I
simply have to get it working; there's no reason why it shouldn't. Does
anyone have an idea of what is going on here and how to fix it?

Problem 2: PCMCIA Ethernet card locking up at 'ifconfig'
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The second problem I have is with my Xircom 28.8 Kbps modem + Ethernet card.
During 'ifconfig' (always executed at boot time) the machine might or might
not lock up. And with 'lock up', I mean freeze to the point where the only
option is to turn the computer off and on again. The funny things is that
sometimes, ifconfig works perfectly and I have a fully functioning Ethernet.
At other times---apparently when the Moon has reached a certain phase---it
doesn't and I have to remove the card to get the machine to boot at all.
Inserting the card into a running machine doesn't present any problems:
cardctl shows it being in normal use, and lsmod shows both modules for this
card loaded. It's only when I issue a

    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 <.....>

that the machine might or might not lock up.
     Now I know there is some funny business associated with entering
suspend mode with active cards and such---I do that in Windows all the time.
But surely that cannot influence the behaviour with an initialisation
command in a different OS which requires a cold boot (more or less)?? Any
help would be appreciated here too.

With kind regards,
Maarten de Jong