[ltp] Linux 2.4.9 trouble on a ThinkPad 600E

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:47:36 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Maarten de Jong <cymric73@hotmail.com>:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have recently acquired a ThinkPad 600E and have had a very pleasant
> time
> installing and running Linux 2.4.9 on it. However, I have run into a few
>
> nasty problems I do not know how to solve. I appreciate any feedback in
>
> these matters.
>

> Problem 1: floppy drive not working
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> For some strange reason, whenever I boot up Linux with a floppy drive in
> the
> Ultrabay, I cannot mount any disk in there. Or at an unpredictable rate
> at
> best. Upon entering the command
>
>     mount /mnt/a
>
> with an /etc/fstab-entry of
>
>     /dev/fd0   /mnt/a    msdos    defaults,noauto    0  0
>
> and a proper mounting directory, I get the following error message:
>
>     mount: /def/fd0 already mounted or /mnt/a busy
>
> But there's nothing in my /proc/mounts- or /etc/mtab-files with respect
> an already mounted /dev/fd0. Now I know there's a special option you
> need to
> pass along to the kernel, and it's sitting right there in the
> global section of /etc/lilo.conf:
>
>     append = "floppy=thinkpad"
>
> Not being able to mount a floppy disk isn't too crippling; I almost
> never
> use them anyway. But it's such a basic feature of any computer system I
>
> simply have to get it working; there's no reason why it shouldn't. Does
>
> anyone have an idea of what is going on here and how to fix it?
actually i don't think you need that option on modern thinkpads...
have you tried without it?  if so it might just be flaky hardware...

> Problem 2: PCMCIA Ethernet card locking up at 'ifconfig'
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> The second problem I have is with my Xircom 28.8 Kbps modem + Ethernet
> card.
> During 'ifconfig' (always executed at boot time) the machine might or
> might
> not lock up. And with 'lock up', I mean freeze to the point where the
> only
> option is to turn the computer off and on again. The funny things is
> that
> sometimes, ifconfig works perfectly and I have a fully functioning
> Ethernet.
> At other times---apparently when the Moon has reached a certain
> phase---it
> doesn't and I have to remove the card to get the machine to boot at all.
>
> Inserting the card into a running machine doesn't present any problems:
>
> cardctl shows it being in normal use, and lsmod shows both modules for
> this
> card loaded. It's only when I issue a
>
>     ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 <.....>
>
> that the machine might or might not lock up.
>      Now I know there is some funny business associated with entering
> suspend mode with active cards and such---I do that in Windows all the
> time.
> But surely that cannot influence the behaviour with an initialisation
> command in a different OS which requires a cold boot (more or less)??
> Any
> help would be appreciated here too.
sorry i'm stumped on that one - does the machine free up when you remove the
card?  can you try a different card of the same type?