[ltp] CD-ROM spinning up (and segue)

Joe Luker linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:53:28 -0600

--------------3CCF3584F7733CAF3058F655

Mine never does this, but I always kill any kind of automounter service
in every install because I'm a control freak and I only want it to do
things when I tell it to, although that's getting harder and harder with
the newer versions.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think the distributions are getting
sloppier over time?  I like all the new cool stuff that's getting
packaged in the distros, but IMHO RH5.x was as stable as a table, RH6.x
was a little flaky, and RH7.x bothers me to the point I'm considering
changing my favorite distro from RH/Mandrake to something else.  I know
this is probably something for alt.linux.redhat but thinkpad users seem
to have unique challenges and I haven't upgraded my desktop lately.

"Daniel W. Schar" wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Brad Langhorst wrote:
>
> mine does this even with windows on it...(310ed does this).  i just keep
> the door ajar to not hear it doin it...
>
> > Quoting Mark Atwood <mra@pobox.com>:
> >

> > > The other night I was reading some stuff on my thinkpad while laying
> > > back on my futon, and I realized that ever 90 seconds or so, the
> > > CD-ROM drive was spinning up and then down again. I hadnt noticed
> > > before because normal office fan-noise masks it.
> > >
> > > I'm running RH 7.1 with the Gnome desktop.
> > >
> > > What keeps hitting the (empty) CD-ROM, and how do I make it stop?

> > > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
> > it might be some kind of auto-mounting tool...
> >
> > brad

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

> Daniel W. Schar
> Dept of Biology (OBEE), UCLA
> 621 Charles Young Dr. South
> Los Angeles, CA 90095-1606

--------------3CCF3584F7733CAF3058F655

begin:vcard
n:Luker;Joe
tel;home:(972) 722-0979
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;1125 Sierra Pass;Rockwall;TX;75087;
version:2.1
email;internet:lukerj@swbell.net
fn:Joe Luker
end:vcard