Ot: Re: [ltp] CD-ROM spinning up (and segue)

Peter Hutnick linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:52:06 -0600 (CST)

Joe Luker said:
> Mine never does this, but I always kill any kind of automounter service in
> every install because I'm a control freak and I only want it to do things
> when I tell it to, although that's getting harder and harder with the newer
> versions.
>
> Is it just me, or does anybody else think the distributions are getting
> sloppier over time?  I like all the new cool stuff that's getting
> packaged in the distros, but IMHO RH5.x was as stable as a table, RH6.x was
> a little flaky, and RH7.x bothers me to the point I'm considering changing
> my favorite distro from RH/Mandrake to something else.  I know this is
> probably something for alt.linux.redhat but thinkpad users seem to have
> unique challenges and I haven't upgraded my desktop lately.

Well, if you want stable more than "slick" I would recommend Debian/stable.

I started with RH 5.1, and 7.0 convinced me that it was time to move on.  I'm
running Debian/unstable on my TP 600.  It has some rough edges, but overall I'm
liking in.

I think that RH has been in a downward spiral of trying to be "ultimate" that
has really wrecked the distro.

-Peter