[ltp] CRT and LCD at the same time?

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:26:11 -0500

Robert,

Unfortunately, neither IBM nor Tim nor S3 paid any heed to my request for
help with this issue. As far as I know it affects any of the S3 chipsets
that support 1400x1050. Apparently this includes the T21 and T22 with the
higher resolutions. I am not sure about the T23. IBM has totally ignored
my pleas for help, perhaps hoping that ignoring us will make the problem
go away. Tim says that he is either not being paid by IBM/S3 or is not
allowed to work on this issue. It doesnt even appear on his page as a
remaining issue that needs to be resolved.

I tried to tweak Tim's s3switch utility and had limited success. I was
working blindly in that I didnt have the specs to the Savage chipset
(I tried contacting S3 for the specs to no avail). Others have reported
no success with my tweaks.

DS
Robert Andersson wrote:

> me> i have followed this discussion "[ltp] simultaneous external and
> me> lcd display on t21" first initiated by d. sen. now i have been
> me> struggling to get this to work but without any luck. when
> me> following the discussion i couldn't find the answer... :| did you
> me> succeed in this?  my rig is a t22 though, but i think that will
> me> not matter so much right? if i have missed anything in a faq or
> me> manual could you kindly direct to whereever i can find these
> me> sources of information.
>
> maybe i wasn't clear enough... the rig i have a problem with is a
> thinkpad t22 with a 1400x1050 display, model tt29esw. now i am running
> mandrake 8.1 on it which seems to work just fine out of the box but
> for some minor tweaks. :) i have tried s3graphics drivers for xf4.1
> and also the ones from tim roberts. when useing the s3graphics drivers
> everything starts going really really slow. the ones from tim works
> well though. but still i can not make this computer to display lcd and
> crt at the same time. any suggestions?
>
> i should maybe mention that i have another t22, model tt28esw, with a
> 1024x768 display that works like a charm. no probs with showing lcd
> and crt at the same time there... and yes i have disected the config
> of this computer trying to find an answer... but with no luck.
>
> now i'm turning to you guys hoping you might give me a clue...
>
> yours
> /robert
>
> --
> Systems Administrator
> Swedish National Graduate School of Language Technology

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research
Shannon Laboratory
180 Park Ave.