[ltp] ibm ultracam works but can't set brightness

Tilmann Singer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:11:32 +0100

Hi

Finally got the ibm ultracam (the usb cam that can be plugged on the
top of the thinkpad's display) working.

The driver that was included with the 2.4.14 kernel did not work for
me - it could be loaded, although with those warnings:

tp:/lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/drivers# insmod ultracam
Using
/lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/drivers/usb/ultracam.o Warning:
/lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/drivers/usb/ultracam.o symbol for parameter
lighting not found

but the pictures resulting looked strangely distorted. A screenshot
produced with gqcam is here: http://tils.net/ich.jpg. The program that
I was interested to get to work, hasciicam (www.hascii.org), seemed to
suffer from the same problems.

The I replaced the ultracam.c in the kernel source with the version
from cvs, from here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/linux-usb/usbvideo/ultracam.c?sortby=rev

and hasciicam worked fine. Also it's jpeg grabbing mode works
fine. Wohoo!

gqcam on the other hand does not even display a picture anymore with
the new driver.

I am a bit confused as to which clients are supposed to work with this
camera - especially I would like to have one that displays the live
picture in a little window like gqcam promises to do.

Another problem is that it seems not possible to adjust the brightness
sensitivity of the camera. In daylight the camera is unusable - the
pictures are totally white. Looking in the code it seems that
brightness adjustment is not implemented yet, is that right?

If it was implemented, what client program would be used to adjust the
brightness then?

tia, Tilmann