[ltp] A22m && Fdisk to resize

Nigel Metheringham linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
21 Nov 2001 15:34:49 +0000

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 15:30, E M Recio wrote:
> Another issue I ran into is that I didn't have PQ-Partition Magic. So I
> had to resize the partitions 'dirtily'. I used linux's version of fdisk
> (NOT disk druid) to resize my partitions. Basically, I didn't touch
> hda2, and I resized hda1 from 30gig to 6gig. Since windows was only
> using 1gig, this resizeing didn't damage any of the data. I added the
> dos partition to grub and now can boot windows/dos at will.

fdisk cannot do a resize like this - well it can but all hell is likely
to break loose since the underlying filesystem doesn't know whats
happened.

Gnu parted
	http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

handles DOS/Windows FAT type partitions well, as well as ext2, ext3, and
to a lesser degree (no resize) NTFS and reiserfs.

It will allow you to resize FAT and ext2/ext3 partitions.

There is a boot floppy available to allow you to do this when you only
have Windows or when you are relocating/resizing your root partition.

I have used this several times on my T21 thinkpad to organise the
partition table.

	Nigel.