[ltp] Linux just ROCKS baby!!!

Joe Luker linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:22:30 -0600

--------------E985F5EB1916874D48E77C5E

Okay, so I'm going crazy trying to get my Win98 laptop to network with a
2000 box that I have my DSL connections through so I can transfer my
digital camera pictures from the laptop to the 2000 box, and get work
from the 2000 box to the laptop, etc.  BUT, per the norm for
MicroSLOTH,  I can get outside web access no problem on my LAN for both
boxes, but I can't get NetBIOS/NetBUEI to run right for Microsoft
networking to save my life since I have 98 mixed with 2000, right!!!

So, I set up a Samba server on my laptop (linux boot side of disk)
(knowing squat about SAMBA 2.5 hours ago), and now I have full access
both ways from either box and since my Win98 laptop partition is mounted
on my linux partition, I just make links from my Samba default login
directory to wherever on the 98 partition and I'm transfering gobs of
stuff over the net.  Sneakernet is a thing of the past for this guy!!!
I just LOVE Linux.

ThinkPad ListServ guys, thanks tons for all your help with the Linksys
PCMCIA NIC.  I've tried all the distros now including Debian, and SuSE
is the best - head and shoulders above the rest for TP600 config stuff.
I also see that LinkSys has put a link up again on their new pages for
Linux users so I guess I should retract my earlier nasty comments about
XP and the dark side.

Go with the force, use Open Source.
- Joe
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?'  I am not able rightly to apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
--------------E985F5EB1916874D48E77C5E

begin:vcard
n:Luker;Joe
tel;home:(972) 722-0979
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;1125 Sierra Pass;Rockwall;TX;75087;
version:2.1
email;internet:lukerj@swbell.net
fn:Joe Luker
end:vcard