[ltp] more hibernation problems - this time with X21

David Roundy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:28:15 -0800

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:46:11PM +0100, Kevin Krause wrote:

> OK, one more report here: I just freed up enough space on my TP X21/384MB
> to create a hibernation partition, as hibernation to file didn't work with
> full RAM expansion (while it worked well under Linux with the stock
> 128MB). So I created that partition with phdisk.exe and got a success
> message (seemingly it only succeeded in overwriting my boot sector...
> grrr), but pressing FN-F12 under Linux just gives me a beep, no
> hibernation. Same for lphdisk, except that it leaves LILO intact. tpctl
> Called IBM support, they say that Linux is not supported on this kind of
> box, so their options are to stick with Win2K or not use hibernation.
> Hm. Anybody out there who got hibernation to work under Linux with a
> machine like mine?

Sure, I've got precisely the same configuration.  You just create a FAT16
partition, and then run the IBM floppy which creates the hibernation file
for you and sets it up.  Since I have the same amount of RAM as you do, it
may be that I could just send you my hibernation file.  I just checked, and
there's only one file named save2dsk.bin.  Creating the IBM floppy is a bit
of a pain, since you have to download and run a windows binary in order to
create it.  :(
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/