[ltp] Replacement LCDs (for 770X)?

Willard Fullam III linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:42:37 -0500

That sounds about right; at least that is what I remember when I was
last working and we were doing service work on TPs.

IBM (USA at least) puts a ceiling on repair costs, if memory serves it
was around $1100 US. No repair can be over that limit or it will not be
repaired. The LCD panel is still one of the single most expensive
pieces to replace and that is not an unusal price of around $900.

Most all of the information required to determine the parts needed is
available from the IBM website. It may be possible to locate a parts
dealer that has the panel for less (some refurbs) and the user provides
the labor.

Be careful though, I remember when we (actually my laptop technician)
had to place three orders to get the correct part. We had the right
number but the parts suppliers did not. This was too common a problem,
particular with refurbed parts.

My question would be is it worth the expense? Can you get a replacement
for under a grand? I don't think I could get a similar replacement for
my 770X for that, but if some has a recommendation let me know!

--
Willard E. Fullam III
wfullam@bellsouth.net