[ltp] 512 MB on a 770Z

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:50:11 -0500

Generally speaking the limits on hard drives imposed by bios/controller kick
in at:

2.1 gigs, 4.2 gigs, and 8.4 gigs, and then there is another limit way up at
132 gigs (which can only be bypassed by using ATA133). So if you can handle a
8+ giger, you should in theory be entirely set for life on any machine ;o).
Sadly many OS have bad problems with  big drives. Win98 is STILL crippled in
dealing with 2+ gig IDE drives (believe it or not, you can verify this by
trying to put a bigger ATA drive in your machine without an overlay like
"OnDisk").

Linux happily operates entirely in LBA mode and ignores all the CHS nonsense
totally, so it should never be a problem, its only a matter of BIOS not
flipping out during booting. 99% of the time if you DO have a problem the
solution is to make a 10 meg partition at the start of your disk and mount
that on "/boot". Then the kernel image is insured to be where bios will let
lilo find it. (the problem is that the MBR uses CHS addressing to the drive,
so bios can't find anything located beyond 1024 cylinders, nor understand
more than 64 sectors or 15 heads).

Truthfully, the PC hardware platform is an abomination....... hehe.