[ltp] Replacement LCDs (for 770X)?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:02:00 -0500

Cheer up Harry, it was a bad week for laptops. I was using my A20 the other
day when it slid off my lap. The machine only took a slight bump, but
apparently the retaining screw that keeps the hard drive in its bay had come
loose. The drive became unseated momentarily and as a result I got a nice
lesson is massive file system corruption!!! Spent the last 3 days sifting
through the wreckage.

I must say though, linux has some excellent tools for salvaging ext2 file
systems. I happened to have a copy of the Debian business card "BBC" CD on
hand and booting off that I was able to salvage most of my files using
"debugfs". I've never seen so porked a file system! The primary superblock
was gone, the MBR was gone, and half the inode table was wrecked. Even so
after an epic 5 hour fsck the system was able to boot and run X. "lost+found"
had 7500+ entries in it, and half the rest of the files were corrupt. /dev
was totally gone. Even so the kernel manfully made its way through something
approximating a boot sequence!

Needless to say I spent yesterday installing the newest Mandrake 8.1 ;o). I
must say it is so far the best desktop distro ever! The only thing I had a
beef with is that it totally botched its setup of X. Luckily I had a copy of
my old XF86Config-4 to go by.