[ltp] 2nd HDD in Multibay (600x)

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:43:16 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Boyan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> slowly and surely my 12Gb Hdd in the 600x 5FG is feeling quite small for
> the software I use. I wander if anyone of you have used the option of a
> second harddrive in the CDrom bay?

I have a 600E and I've upgraded my internal HDD to 20 GB and mounting
the original (6.4 GB) drive in a drive adapter in the bay is no problem,
at least under Linux. (Haven't tried under Win).

I haven't tried hot-swapping or warm-swapping with the DVD drive -- I've
rebooted whenever touching the bay.

> Would a multibay hdd work under linux or should I better leave linux on
> the original hdd and load w98 in the multibay? Or is it just not worth the
> price and efforts and should I simply buy an external PCMCIA hdd?

I'd say if you're buying a new drive anyway, the price for a drive bay
adapter is sufficiently low that it's worth it.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau