[ltp] Setting up to install RH on a new ThinkPad 600

Mark Atwood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
01 Oct 2001 13:25:34 -0700

I just bought a refurbed ThinkPad 600 2645-85U.

(What does the 85U mean, anyway?).

I've been reading around the WebRing, and have a couple of questions.

I guess I need a MSDOS partition for the suspend file. How big does it
have to be? I'm guessing the size of the RAM plus a little bit more.

I suppose that keeping TP2.EXE on that MSDOS partition, and making
that partition bootable would be wise. Where can a find a version of
MSDOS that will work for that purpose? Does FreeDOS work?

I've been using RH 7.1 at work and home. Is anyone running RH 7.1 on a
TP600? I've seen nothing in the webring about it, most people's
experiences seem to have been with RH 6.0.

I've seen the warning about I2C and lm_sensors. Is it safe to just
install the kernel-2.4.2 that comes with 7.1, and then promptly
upgrade to say 2.4.9 or so?

--
Mark Atwood   | I'm wearing black only until I find something darker.
mra@pobox.com | http://www.pobox.com/~mra