[ltp] RH7.1 on Thinkpad 240: HD doesn't go on standby...

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:39:36 +0200

On Wednesday,  3. October 2001 13:47, Ralf Mehlan wrote:
> No, just ext2.

AFAIK some HDs flush their write cache immediately to the disk. Of course
they will spin up if that happens. Since the update thread syncs the disks at
least every 30 seconds (man 8 update), the drive will spin up and down every
few seconds if you use hdparm -S1.

You can search for the init script in your init.d directory that runs the
"update" command (checkroot.sh on my Debian system) and append "-s 300 -f
300" to this line. If your HD will stay spun down for at least a few minutes
now, remove the "-s 300 -f 300" and install "noflushd" (
http://noflushd.sourceforge.net ).

If the "-s 300 -f 300" doesn't help (you can remove it now and reboot), there
must be another process that causes the disk to spin up. Go to the text
console and kill all processes that run in the background. Everytime after
you have killed one process, listen to your hard disk if it still spins up a
few seconds after it spun down.

In either case I suggest you to install noflushd if you want to maximize the
down times of you hard disk.

Tino