[ltp] tpctl & thinkpad 3.0pre1

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
04 Oct 2001 23:20:14 -0400

It would be helpful if those of you who are using devfs
would try out tpctl 3.0pre1.  This release checks out fine
on my machine, but I'm calling it "pre1" to cover my behind.

tpctl has been split into two packages, called 'thinkpad' and 'tpctl'.
The thinkpad package contains the source code for the loadable
kernel module device drivers.
The tpctl package contains the userland executables.
Each package has its own Makefile and README and its own copy
of shared header files.

I am hoping that someday the thinkpad drivers will be included in
the Linux source tree, but that day has not yet arrived.

For the 3.0 release, the device drivers have been modified so that
they are more independent of one another.  If devfs is enabled,
each module creates its own device entry under /dev/thinkpad
through which its functionality can be accessed.  However, tpctl
continues to access the modules indirectly via the "thinkpad"
module.

tpctl 3.0 has been modified so that if /dev/thinkpad is a directory
it will look for the thinkpad device file at /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad.

tpctl 3.0 has no new features in comparison with version 2.5.
The main goal was to add devfs support.  So, devfs users, please
test!

Thomas Hood