[ltp] tpctl & thinkpad 3.0pre1

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:16:14 +0100 (BST)

 --- Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@web.de> wrote:
> I have this problem:
>
> > root < @thinkpad:/root$ ll -d /dev/thinkpad/
> drw-rw-rw-    1 root     adm             0 Oct 10 19:58 /dev/thinkpad/
>
> As you can see, no x permissions, so tpctl will only work as root since an
> ordinary user is not allowed to look into /dev/thinkpad. The files inside
> /dev/thinkpad have the right permissions:
>
> > root < @thinkpad:/root$ ll /dev/thinkpad/
> total 0
> drw-rw-rw-    1 root     adm             0 Oct 10 19:58 .
> drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 ..
> crw-rw-r--    1 root     thinkpad   8,   2 Jan  1  1970 rtcmosram
> crw-rw-r--    1 root     thinkpad   8,   1 Jan  1  1970 smapi
> crw-rw-r--    1 root     thinkpad  10, 170 Jan  1  1970 thinkpad
>
> What did I wrong?

I'm not sure.  Perhaps root's umask is set to something
other than 022?

> Or should I tweak the 'mode' argument of devfs_mkdir?

devfs_mk_dir does not take a "mode" argument.  However,
devfs_mk_dir always creates a directory with rx permission
for all, so I suspect that something is wrong with your
devfsd configuration.

A workaround is simply to do
     chown root.thinkpad /dev/thinkpad
     chmod ug+x /dev/thinkpad
on the directory after it has been created.

A more permanent workaround is to add these lines to
devfsd.conf (or in Debian, create the file /etc/devfs/conf.d/thinkpad
with these lines) and restart devfsd, unload and reload
the thinkpad modules:
     REGISTER thinkpad$    PERMISSIONS root.thinkpad  0664
     REGISTER thinkpad$    EXECUTE chmod 0755 /dev/thinkpad

However, you really should find out why the directory perms
are being set to 0666.

--
Thomas

=====