[ltp] T21, what ide speed?

Dr. Edmund Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
16 Oct 2001 00:58:32 +0200

Sorry, I know this comes a bit late but I stored this message for
future reference and was on vacation in the meantime.

>From the kernel boot messages I guess that the idebus=xx parameter
does only affect the hard disk if it is in PIO mode. (Is that true?)
On my (SuSE 7.3) installation, the hard disk (IBM-DJSA-232, also on a
T21) is automatically switched to DMA mode.

I played around with different settings and found out that PIO with
idebus=66 seems to be slower than DMA on my machine. But I also found
out - to my astonishment - that the output of hdaparm -tT doesn't seem
to be a reliable means to tune your hard disk. With the _same_
settings (DMA) I got results that varied from

  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.80 seconds =160.00 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.55 seconds = 18.03 MB/sec

  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.25 seconds =102.40 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  7.82 seconds =  8.18 MB/sec

Most of the time, the first value is approx. 140 while the second
value is approx. 18, but I also had this strange 102/8 result. Let me
add that this wasn't influenced by other processes running at the same
time.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Edi.