[ltp] 560X and serial port for modem problems

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:30:53 +0100 (BST)

 --- Shawn Koons <skoons@famvid.com> wrote:
> "setserial /dev/ttyS0"  returns:
> 	ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

This looks correct.

> In an attempt to get this to work properly I enter:
> 	tpctl --rs1=0x03f8 --rs=irq4
> This returns:
> 	tpctl: System error message is: No such file or directory
> 		tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad with flags O_RDWR

Well, is /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad there?  What are its permissions?
You need write permission on the file in order to change settings.

Which kernel do you have?
Do you use devfs?
What do you see in the syslog when you "insmod thinkpad"?

--
Thomas Hood

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm