[ltp] Trouble running old Win98 harddrive on TP600

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:29:27 -0400

Here's a strange one:

My old 6gig drive has Window's 98 on it.  I wanted to
run Windows so that I could update the firmware of my PCMCIA modem.

Problem is that everything runs extremely slow.  So slow I can't
even wait to boot Windows, instead I hit the F8 key and boot
DOS only.

I tried running the PS2.EXE utility to manipulate the CPU speed options,
power saving mode etc..  All to no avail.

When I say slow I mean that when I execute PS2.EXE it takes several
minutes to come back and display it's help screen.

The laptop runs fine with Linux.   The only thing I can think is that
somehow tpctl set some kind of option in the hardware that the old
OS does'nt like.

Any help appreciated.