[ltp] thinkpad 310ED

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:43:34 -0400

Well, Mandrake seems to be about the best desktop distribution around these
days. Sometimes it has a few rough spots, as they tend to try to be very
"bleeding edge" with their packages (and they seem to have by far the largest
selection of packages available, plus 90% of RH 7.x packages work fine on
Mandrake, which is nice).

I would NOT really call it a "light" distribution, BUT with 8.x you can
pretty easily pare it down to a reasonable subset that you can live with. If
you use just one window manager/desktop and don't install a lot of
development and server packages you can get an install thats well under 1
gig. If you really push it you can get it down to around 350 megs (and
probably much less, but for smaller installs than that I'd go with one of the
micro distros).

I have been running Mandrake 7.2 and 8.0 on a 380D and an A20p for a few
months now. 8.1 is out now, which would probably be the way to go.

Debian is a great and wonderful thing, but it has 2 major problems. One, its
a hobbyist effort and doesn't necessarily cater to people's real needs. Take
for instance the BS with Debian and KDE. That was just dumb. Personally I
don't trust the Debian people to put first priority on user needs over some
kind of philosophical mumbo-jumbo I could care less about. 2nd its just NOT
that easy to run. Eventually you can make it work very slick, but its
packages tend to be way out of date and it doesn't give you much in the way
of easy admin tools.