[ltp] thinkpad 310ED

Tom Allison linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 06:00:27 -0400

Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> This is a ThinkPad mailing list, so your comments about Desktops are
> irrelevant. But could not resist addressing your comments about distros.
>

> On Monday 22 October 2001 10:43, Tod Harter wrote:
>
>>Well, Mandrake seems to be about the best desktop distribution around these
>>days. Sometimes it has a few rough spots, as they tend to try to be very
>>"bleeding edge" with their packages (and they seem to have by far the
>>largest selection of packages available, plus 90% of RH 7.x packages work
>>fine on Mandrake, which is nice).
>>
>>Debian is a great and wonderful thing, but it has 2 major problems. One,
>>its a hobbyist effort and doesn't necessarily cater to people's real needs.
>>

> Though debian is purely GPL, I would not dare to call it unstable. It is
> perhaps the most stable of all Linux (another "hobbyist" effort :) ) distros.
> Most experienced admins go for Debian as their first choice. And something
> that is that stable cannot be in justice called a "hobbyist effort". If
> anything, it shows professionalism.

I'm very disappointed in your comments being so off based.
This is a notebook arena and not a distro arena.
And you have insulted my distro of choice sir and I demand satisfaction!
  I demand flinging CD's at 20 paces!

Seriously,  I selected debian because it seemed at the time to have
excellent support for notebook wants (apm, irda, pcmcia).  Maybe not
bleeding edge, but ease of installation and support available.

I recognize your right to advocate one distro. -- but please refrain
from making negative comments about others.  It's bad for the Linux
Community as a whole.

BTW - one of my fondest aspects of Debian is the apt-get uptility.  This
has been recognized as probably the best package management utility
available to Linux.  It rocks!