[ltp] Debian on a 380D

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:59:28 -0400

I was just really disturbed by Debian's attitude towards certain software,
namely KDE. It didn't leave me with a good feeling that they were putting
user's real needs ahead of some philosophical/political agenda. The only
other thing is Debian seems to always be way behind in updating packages. Its
a two-edged sword, but that is one great thing about Mandrake, esp for us KDE
users out there, they are always close to the current edge of development.
You can pare it down to a decent size too, and if you use GRUB and don't
install "aurora" you can get a pretty quick boot. I agree though, Mandrake is
VERY bloated!!!!

I think ALSA is the way to go for sound. It is quite superior to OSS quality
wise, and I couldn't get OSS to reliably support my 380D's sound chip anyhow.
It would just randomly stop working in KDE. Not sure if it was really an OSS
problem, but ALSA fixed it...