[ltp] Debian on a 380D

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:24:54 +0100 (BST)

 --- Tod Harter <tharter@rhombus.net> wrote:
> it was rather disheartening to see the Debian people
> blindly following RS's lead. The guy is a flaming lunatic if you ask me.

He's quite ideological, but IMHO his influence on the whole
open-source movement has been overwhelmingly positive.
It is good to have someone out there articulating the pure
vision.

> > It is rather bad that software is in such a poor state now that user
> > has to be on the current edge of development just to get away from
> > show-stopper bugs. I'd rather prefer situation when I can use same
> > good old software for years until my requirements change and I would
> > really need to learn something new. Alas, it is virtually impossible.

Well, there is no escaping the fact that we are currently in
a phase of rapid development in many key projects.  If you
want stability in the OS, there's the Linux 2.2.x series.
However there aren't many truly stable desktop apps.  However
that is going to change soon.  Mozilla 1.0, Evolution 1.0,
Star Office 6 are all due out soon, and will all be maintained
in seriously stable branches.

> Yeah, well in the case of ALSA its pretty easy to add it. If you had OSS
> installed properly you can replace it with ALSA with no kernel rebuilds (at
> least under 2.4.x kernels, 2.2.x is a different situation).

ALSA is another project that is emerging from its phase of
initial heavy development.  By the time ALSA 1.0 comes out it
should be stable and (also important) have a static API.

Thomas

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm