[ltp] more /dev/thinkpad

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:30:40 +0100 (BST)

 --- William Sherman -Visualization <wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> But then I guess I had to also load smpti.o because I got this:

Yes, "smapi.o".

> ---
> tpctl: Power management mode for battery power has been set to high
> power management modes:
>    battery power expenditure:   (power management code not recognized)

This is bothersome.  I get the following:

> jdthood@thanatos:~/src/tpctl/tpctl$ tpctl -pmb
> power management modes:
>    battery power expenditure:                         auto

We should investigate why you are getting an unrecognized
power management code.  What model ThinkPad do you have again?

> Unfortunately, even after doing:
> 	# insmod smapi.o
> 	# insmod superio.o
> 	# insmod rtcmosram.o
> 	# tpctl -pma=high	(which reported success!)
> 	# tpctl -pmb=high	(which reported success!)
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo still reported:
> 	cpu MHz         : 91.978
>
> BUT, after a reboot:
> 	# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> 	cpu MHz         : 363.965

Okay, well I guess this change only gets through after a reboot.

> So now The Who are rocking on my laptop (using Xine 0.9.0) a lot
> better than they were yesterday.  363.965MHz isn't quite enough
> to keep up The Who for perfect playback, but it's not too bad.
>
> 	So, thank you very much,
> 	Bill

> and /var/log/messages reported:
> Oct 25 18:16:59 cezanne modprobe: no dependency information for module:
> "/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/thinkpad/thinkpad.o"

A bug, but one that won't be fixed in the 1.x series.

> Oct 26 11:44:38 cezanne modprobe: can't locate module char-major-10-170

You need to add the following to /etc/modules.conf:
     alias char-major-10-170 thinkpad

> Also, my "Easy Setup" system didn't have an option to control power
> managment anywhere that I could find.

My Easy-Setup doesn't do that either (ThinkPad 600).

--
Thomas Hood

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm