[ltp] Thinkpad key in T21

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:13:35 +0200

On Thursday, 25. October 2001 13:01, Markus Braun wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I read in the german LinuxMagazin that it is possible to use the Thinkpad
> key in T21 laptops. But they also write that the progam is only available
> on the laptops with preinstalled Linux. I have a laptop with preintalled
> Windows. Is it possible to get the program somewere else?
>
> I tried xev, but I see no key code when I press the button.

A few weeks ago I installed Linux on a Toshiba Satellite (BTW: Toshiba is
crap!) While I tried hard to get a utility package (toshutils IIRC) to do
something usefull I read something about a Toshiba specific key that doesn't
send any keyboard events. AFAIR an IO port was used to get the state of this
key. Maybe IBM did something similar with the ThinkPad key.

BTW., does anybody know how to get unused Fn+Fx keys to do something, like
Fn+F2 which spawns a battery meter in Windows on my 765L? Fn+PageUp and
Fn+PageDown also don't do something (the icons say that they can be used to
adjust the volume level, which is pretty useless since the 765L has a neat
volume slider).

Tino