[ltp] appearance modification

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
1 Sep 2001 03:49:44 -0500

+---------- On Aug 31, Robert Munro said:
> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Markus Alt wrote:
> > The "rubbery" surface on the wristrest (where the
> > speakers are) on the '600 has been worn off -- piece by piece over the
> > last year or so -- and the silvery paint below is being worn away,
> > exposing the plastic(?) cabinet underneath.  So from matt black to
> > silvery with green spots to silky black in the different exposure zones.
>
> I believe IBM has been known to replace TP 600 casetops with this
> problem. This was recognized as a materials defect and corrected in
> the T2x models.

You can probably find other people who've had this fixed under warranty
by searching groups.google.com or the archives of this list for
"thinkpad paint peeling".

The part where you rest your wrists/palms is called the keyboard bezel.
IBM just replaced mine (on my 770Z) under warranty a couple of months
ago due to peeling paint. However, I had to call in the problem twice.
The first time, I got connected to a guy who didn't want to fix it under
warranty. We got disconnected at some point (he put me on hold and
eventually I got a dial tone), and when I called again I got a woman who
was willing to fix it under warranty.