[ltp] How to tell XFree86 4 to ignore fixed LCD timings?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:27:02 +0200

Hi folks,

1. I wonder if there is a magic option in XFree86 4.1.0 to get the X server
to use the timings of the modelines given in the XFree86Config-4 file. At
least my trident_drv.so ignores them and uses some fixed values that are
hardcoded into the driver (an arry called "LCD" in trident_driver.c). This is
very annoying since I also use a CRT. It only uses the timings of the
modeline if it detects that the LCD of my TP is deactivated. Unfortunately it
even detects an active LCD if it _is deactivated_ with Fn+F7.

I modified some source files and built an own trident_drv.so that ignores an
active LCD. This works for me but I think there must be more "official"
solution. I searched the docs but found nothing. Any hints?

2. Are there any positive or negative side effects if I use a refresh rate of
40 Hz on my LCD (I think of energy saving because of a lower pixel clock)? It
seems to work well.

Tino