[ltp] Thinkpad 560 X-Windows Config help needed

Ron Costin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:18:08 -0400

Folks-

I have resurrected a Thinkpad 560 (264050A) that my research indicates has a
Trident Cyber 9385 chipset and 1MB VRAM.

I am new to Linux, but installed RedHat 7.0 over the weekend. I initially
had problems getting X to start at all, but after much research, tweaked the
XF86Config file to the point where it will start. Now, when X starts up, it
presents to me a black screen with two horizontal orange lines. A
Function-F7 keystroke combo removes the lines, leaving only a black screen
which requires a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace combo to exit X back to a Linux text
prompt.

Does anyone out there have good advice, or even better, an authoritative X
config file?  A lot of the links regarding this matter seem to be dead.

Thanks,
Ron