[ltp] A22p - dead microphone?

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:16:01 +0100

Dear All,

I wonder if you have any ideas about the following?

My new A22p (which now runs Mandrake very well - thanks for help), has
mic problems.

1)In Windows, an External Mic works fine, but the internal one does not.
(Yes, I have taken the extrenal mic's plug out!) I assume that it's a
dud internal mic. Do you agree?

2)In Linux, which does not have the option in software to add the
"microphone boost", I can't get the mic sensitivity high enough - I need
an extra 10x Gain from an opamp.
Is there any way to fix this? (This is also with the ext. mic; the
internal still doesn't work; tests using GnomeRecord

3)Maybe not related - I have Via Voice, but it won't allow me to set it
up. The sound-setup normally says "failed to record". If I speak VERY
LOUDLY, it says "sound quality is poor".

Anything I can do? Given previous experience with IBM service (under
warranty, but you have to drive it 2 hours to  a service centre, or pay
£70 for shipping, and even then no pc for a week),
if it's a hardware fault, I'll probably live with it!

Best wishes

Richard

P.S. I'm using a standard (power not required) external mic. (which
works fine in a 770Z).