[ltp] APM suspend hangs on T21 (10% of the time)

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:15:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, D. Sen wrote:

> Approximately every once in ten times, my T21 hangs while trying to
> suspend the machine (using apm -s) requiring a cold-reboot.
>
> There doesnt seem to be any pattern to it (it can happen the second time
> I try to suspend or the 8th time). The only constant feature is that the
> screen freezes with a diagonal pattern akin to a desynched display.
> I dont hear the hard-disk so I suspect its a problem with the graphics
> driver/chipset but I have no certain proof that it is.
>
> Does anyone else see the same problem on their T21s? My model is the one
> that came with the SXGA+ (1400x1050) resolution (with the Savage IX
> chipset)

I also experience strange suspend/resume problems where I do not yet
understand the pattern. Here is my situation:

I am running standarwd RH 7.1 including their kernel binary (2.4.2). I
am shutteling between Token Ring at work and Ethernet at home. With
respect to suspend/resume I have not made _any_ changes to the standard
distribution. I suspend by closing the display lid (after pulling the
T/R or E'net) and in many cases the machines resumes after opening the
lid again.

I have situation where sound stuff survives such suspend/resume cycles
and I have situations where sound doesn't survive it. Again, I don't
understand the pattern yet. I can even leave X up. I have to say though
that I have switched from the GNOME stuff completely to "icewm". icewm's
capabilities are sufficient for me. The GNOME is way to complex and
bloated and frequently the system completely hung up when GNOME's screen
savers kicked in. With icewm those problems are gone. Also, there is a
banking application in Germany that work's via a Java Applet executed in
Netscape's context and that application doesn't work with recent
versions of GNOME, however, it works just nice in icewm. Again, no idea
what the problem is and why it works in icewm, I am just doing trial and
error.

When I experience the suspend/resume case I can differentiate between 2
cases:

 1) Pulling the T/R card doesn't "beep" anymore. In this case I know
    there is something wrong with the PCMCIA/PCCARD stack and I do not
    even have to try to suspend. About the only thing I can do here is
    to try to umount as many filesystems as possible and then do a
    hard boot and hope that the fsck then can recover. Again, no
    pattern, sometimes I can shuttle between T/R and Ethernet all week.
    Sometimes the first pull after cold boot already doesn't work

 2) I can successfully suspend but upon resume the display stays
    completely dark and the keyboard does not react to any input except
    "Fn+F3" which toggles the back-light. In this case all I can do is
    cold reboot (!). Again, no pattern. Once in a while I can survive
    a week in a row of daily suspend/resume cycles. Sometimes (like
    today) the system hung in the morning on suspend and in the evening
    on resume.

In all cases though I have not seen any diagonal pattern on the display
though. I am also using the 1400x1050 resolution (24bpp) mode. Well, one
thing is perhaps worthwhile to mention: I have upgraded the standard RH
7.1 to XFree86-4.1.0 from rawhide and I have installed Tim's latest
savage.o (I believe it is 1.19), however, neither update did make any
difference.

In addition to the problems mentioned here I have a severe problem with
the Citrix "ICAClient". I have reported the problem in this list more
than once and Tim Roberts is also aware of the problem. I don't want to
re-describe the problem here and would rather like to just mention it, I
am sure you find it in the list archives in case you are
interested. Perhaps important to say, the latest savage.o does _not_ fix
it.

Feel free to contact me if you need more details or post to the list. I
can perhaps afford to run a few testcases to see if there is any
pattern.

PS: I am about to go back to building my own kernels. I haven't done so
(on this machine) since installing RH's 2.4.2. Perhaps I'll give 2.4.9 a
chance now.

- --
Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/