[ltp] APM suspend hangs on T21 (10% of the time)

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:23:55 -0400

Michael Reinsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:54:23 D. Sen wrote:
>
> > Approximately every once in ten times, my T21 hangs while trying to
> > suspend the machine (using apm -s) requiring a cold-reboot.
>
> Does your distribution come with any scripts which are executed by the apmd
> before / after suspending? What are they doing? If you are using XFree86 4,
> check if they switch to a text console before suspending - this will hang
> my T20.

Yes, I have edited the scripts such that they do the following when going into
the suspend mode:

1)  Call hdparm to turn off dma, etc using the following parameters: q -X0 -q
-c0 -q -d0 -q -u0 -q -S10
(I needed this to avoid filesystem corruption).

2) Disable PCMCIA services (and wait till they are disabled). This uses
cardctl -suspend. (I take out my pcmcia cards manually so this should have
minimal effect).

> You could also try to switch to a text console, look at your syslog there
> and then try to suspend several times and see if you find something before
> it hangs.

I have tried switching to a text console using chvt. This has the effect of
crashing my X server when coming *OUT* (or waking up) of the suspend cycle.
I have logged apm messages but they havent provided any clues.

> --
>   Michael Reinsch <mr@uue.org>                      http://mr.uue.org

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research