[ltp] Last Min. advice for buying a new thinkpad?

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:02:53 +0100

Dear Alex,

I recently bought an A22p (model TA2USUK). I really like it!

I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and everything works just fine
(I've not got around to sorting out suspend/resume, or tv out, but
sound, modem, ethernet, cd-rw are fine.)
To get the trackpoint working, I used a serial mouse for the install,
and then upgraded to one of the Mandrake-Freq
CDs. The ethernet worked staright off; the modem needs the appropriate
driver downloaded.

As for your point about the high-res (1600x1200) display, I do agree
that it is too high, and perhaps 1024x768 would have been better.

BUT...

1)Applications that can use the resolution look fab....eg GIMP for photo
editing, and XMMS visualisations

2)The small -fonts problem is easily fixable by changing KDE settings,
so that everything looks great. Likewise, Mozilla, Kterm, etc is
customisable.
[Also, anything in non-graphical mode is expanded to give very clear text].

3)I find that the 15" display is great. The only thing that isn't always
customisable is the menu bar (File -Edit -View etc). This is a very
minor nuisance - it doesn't need
to be large, as it not often needs to be read!

4)Mandrake uses anti-alisaing by default - and it's great on such a
high-res display.

[The only thing I can't fix is emacs -I've not figured out how to change
the font size (it's not obvious, but I'm still a linux rookie).]

So, on balance, I'd still get 1600x1200 and spend an hour customising
font sizes....

Regards

Richard

P.S. I hunted for ages for the best prices. I found 2 that were better
by about 10 % (after haggling)

Insight: 0870 700 7001

Hemini : 020 82072222