[ltp] Partition Magic or DrakX on A21m?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:33:58 -0400

I haven't any experience with boot magic, so I can't comment on that, but I
can say that both "grub" (the GNU boot loader, which Mandrake supplies as an
alternative to lilo) and lilo itself are excellent boot loaders. I have run
into situations where IDE drive geometries caused problems for lilo (the old
1024 cylinder limit for instance), but I believe recent versions don't have
any problems.

Grub works very well too, and seemed to be a bit easier to configure for me.
To the best of my knowledge there is no OS that lilo can't boot. It can also
be used WITH one of the other boot loaders by putting it in the partitions
boot sector instead of the MBR of the drive. The procedure in that case would
be to install linux, install lilo to the partition boot sector, then install
your other boot loader to the MBR. In that case I think you would want to
just configure lilo to boot only Linux.

In general its better to install other OS's before linux. Linux tends to be
much more polite about not blowing other people's boot loaders etc away.