[ltp] sound on 600E

Chris Halls linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:15:18 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:27:44AM +0200, Pino Giaquinto wrote:
> I wish to know if someone has installed ALSA drivers on TP600E and if
> someone has installed Slackware 8... my sound board not work :-(

I used to have a 600E and had the sound working on Alsa.  The trick is to
use the chip in emulation mode.  Once I read this comment from SuSE Linux,
I was able to work out what had to be done:

	"IBM ThinkPad 600E with an CS423x emulated by an CS4610/11 In this
	case, the native PCI Sound is expected to not work, but some chips
	like the CS4610/11 have a very good emulation for older ISA
	non-PNP cards like the CS423x family. The CS4610/11 e.g. has an
	good emulation of the CS4231/2 cards and the CS4239 card, the
	snd-card-cs4236 e.g. supports the CS4239 emulation of the
	CS4610/11 in the IBM ThinkPad 600E"

This is the modutils config I had:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-cs4236 snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0 snd_port=0x530
snd_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=15
snd_mpu_irq=15 snd_dma1=1 snd_dma1_size=16 snd_dma2=0 snd_dma2_size=16
snd_isapnp=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Note that I was using the cs4236 driver, so you need to make sure the
module snd-card-cs4236 is available.

Although the chip itself is plug and play in native mode, I could not get
plug and play working for the emulation, so the IO and IRQ configuration
needs to be done by hand.  You may need to check the IO ports and IRQ in
the Thinkpad utility if you have changed them from their defaults.  I was
using IRQ 15, which isn't the default if I recall, so you may need to
check that and perhaps the IO ports too.

That was using ALSA 0.5, by the way.  Native CS4610/11 support may well be
in development, so you may like to ask on one of the ALSA mailing lists.

I can't give you detailed Slackware configuration instructions because I
haven't used Slackware since 1995, sorry :-)  But I guess you should be
able to get it working once you know which driver to try.

Have fun,
Chris